Welcome back to the Milky Way Sampler! If you’re new to this starry sensation, and want to find out more about this foundation paper pieced sampler, you can check out this post for all the info. And if you need to brush up on your foundation paper piecing skills, I’ve got a tutorial for that!
Block 6 is Capella, and is named for the sixth-brightest star in the sky. Although while it appears to be one star, it is actually a system of two binary star pairs. Which just makes me think of Star Trek… Capella is the brightest yellow star in our night sky; yellow like our Sun. So it’s fitting that mine is made in a golden mustard colour palette. But I’m pretty sure this is the first time that a star has been composed of trams… Side note – I’ve used this print a few times but only just this time did I notice that the tram has a number and destination!
Anyway, you can download this block for free during June from my Craftsy store!
What you’ll need
Capella pattern – print 4 copies of the template at ‘Actual Size’
Paper piecing supplies – read this post for my recommended paper piecing supplies
- Templates should measure 10 1/2″ along the longest side.
- A4 and A5 are the background sections.
- When you have pieced all four templates, arrange them so that the widest part of each A1 section is in the centre of the quilt block.
- Sew the templates into pairs, pressing seams in alternate directions so that they nest when you sew the block together.
- Sew the block together and press the seam open.
- Quilt block should measure 10 1/2″ x 10 1/2″.
Block 7 will be out on July 1st (AEST), and this block will no longer then be available for free. Make sure to download it now so that you don’t miss out! You can also sign up for my newsletter so that you don’t miss out on future block announcements.
SHARE YOUR BLOCKS
Looking for how to show off your masterpieces? If you’re on Instagram, use #milkywaysampler and feel free to tag me too – @blossomheartquilts! There’s also a fabulous community happening in the BHQ Facebook group where many people are sewing along to this QAL too.
This post contains affiliate links. It just means if you make a purchase, I receive a small commission. Thanks for your support!