Alright, folks, step right up to start the Milky Way Sampler! To catch up on what this year’s sampler is all about, check out this post for all the info. And stop that freaking out about foundation paper piecing right now! I’ve got a huge tutorial post all about how to conquer it right here.
First up, we have Sirius. Sirius a star system, and the brightest star in the Earth’s sky. It’s almost twice as bright as the next brightest star in the sky! It’s also the first block for the Milky Way Sampler, and you can download the pattern for it right here.
What you’ll need
Sirius pattern – print 4 copies of the template at ‘Actual Size’
Paper piecing supplies – read this post for my recommended paper piecing supplies
- Templates should measure 5 1/2″ x 5 1/2″.
- A2 and A3 are the background sections.
- I chose to alternate the print placement for A1 and A4, making two templates of each placement.
- When you have pieced all four templates, arrange them so that each A4 section is in the centre of the quilt block. Sew the templates into pairs, pressing seams in alternate directions so that they nest when you sew the block together. Sew the block together and press the seam open.
- Quilt block should measure 10 1/2″ x 10 1/2″.
Block 2 will be out on February 1st (AEST), and this block will no longer then be available for free. Make sure to download it now so that you don’t miss out! You can also sign up for my newsletter so that you don’t miss out on future block announcements.
Share your blocks
Looking for how to show off your masterpieces? If you’re on Instagram, use #milkywaysampler and feel free to tag me too – @blossomheartquilts! There’s also a fabulous community happening in the BHQ Facebook group where many people are sewing along to this QAL too.